This webinar provides an overview of an Austroads study to develop suggested good practice for a consistent, efficient and safe approach to emergency egress signage within Australasian road tunnels.
- how signage supports the requirements of the relevant phases of the evacuation process
- comparisons of signage within existing or under construction tunnels in Australasia and their alignment with local standards and international practice
- the results and conclusions of the assessment, including the recommended emergency evacuation signage for use within Australasian road tunnels
- other elements identified that are important in the context of supporting the evacuation process.
The webinar was presented on 9 November 2018 by Tony Peglas.
This webinar provides an overview of the key changes to the Guide to Pavement Technology Parts 4F and 4K, and the significant advances in the areas of binder specifications and sprayed seal design.
• technical revisions to reflect current specifications, guidelines and best practice
• outcomes of recent research
• double/double seal design
• initial deal design and additional available treatments
• low volume seal design.
The webinar was presented on 31 October 2018 by Dr Young Choi and Steve Patrick.
This webinar provides an overview of an Austroads study into Traffic Sign Recognition Systems in Australia and New Zealand.
It covers the findings from real world automated vehicle trials and insights into the recommended actions for road operators, manufacturers and industry bodies.
The webinar was presented on 23 October 2018, by Chris Jones, Mark Rowland and Yasmin Roper.
This webinar presents challenges around the introduction of automated heavy vehicles to remote and regional areas and the opportunities for future their use in Australia and New Zealand.
It covers the views of international experts on:
• cellular connectivity and digital infrastructure requirements
• geofencing and managing access
• physical infrastructure impact and requirements
• platooning operations and technology advancement.
The webinar was presented on 25 September 2018, by Anthony Germanchev, Dr Ronny Kutadinata and Dr Steve Shladover.
This webinar provides an overview of the first edition of Austroads Guide to Project Delivery Part 5: Road Construction Quality Assurance.
- the background to the Guide, and concerns with current Quality Assurance contracts
- measures proposed in the Guide
- what is involved in implementation of the Guide.
The webinar was presented on 20 September 2018 by Peter Balfe.
This webinar, provides an overview of Austroads’ Guideline for Minimum Levels of Componentisation for Road Infrastructure Assets, and how to apply it.
• the need for the Guideline
• the inconsistencies in current industry practice
• how the Guideline can be used to drive harmonisation for terminology, asset classification structure and item definition
• implementation considerations and associated benefits.
The webinar was presented on 11 September 2018 by Gary Rykers and Andrew Golding.
This webinar, summarises the findings of Austroads’ Australia and New Zealand Roads Capability Analysis 2017-2027.
• current breakdowns of the roads skilled workforce in Australia and New Zealand
• state of play and outlook for roads activities and skills demand
• insights from industry survey and interviews on existing capability concerns
• how new technologies will drive skills demand, and where the greatest risks to capability lie
• how the broader roads industry can respond positively to the workforce skills challenge.
The webinar was presented on 6 September 2018, by Adrian Hart, BIS Oxford Economics.
This webinar, outlines the impact of BIM technology on location referencing and the proposed new theoretical framework to develop a National Location Reference Hub.
• importance of critical business models for Austroads asset management harmonisation
• interpretations of location, location reference methods (LRM) and location reference systems (LRS)
• roles of the LRM families
• significance of routable networks and the implications of dynamic location reference standards from intelligent transportation systems (ITS) on static asset management
• potential for development using open systems and principals-IFC, Semantic Web, OpenLR
• role that a National Hub could play in future management of road asset network infrastructure.
The webinar was presented on 25 July 2018 by Dr Russell Kenley and Dr Richard Yeo.
This webinar outlines ways to optimise the use of marginal and non-standard materials and gain best value from the successful performance of standard materials.
• applying a proposed assessment process to a wider suite of material types for use in sealed roads
• future directions in this research
• an evaluation framework for materials, including improvements through different forms of stabilisation
• case studies that better assess the optimum use of non-standard road-building materials evaluated on a life-cycle cost basis.
The webinar was presented on 17 July 2018 by Mick Savage, Tyrone Toole and Zia Rice.
This webinar outlines a set of principles for the presentation of Austroads' Network Performance Indicators which could underpin increased use and application across road agencies in Australasia for both current and future iterations.
• how performance is measured in other areas and sectors
• eight key principles for presentation of road performance data
• insights from an industry practice review
• implications of the principles for the Network Performance Indicators.
The webinar was presented on 12 July 2018 by Ben Mason, Paul Carter and Callum Hooper.